Friday, July 13, 2007

The road to hell runs through Idaho

The stench of smoke was in the air. The charred ground next to the interstate was still smoldering. My eyes and throat were starting to rebel from the raging and unruly fires not far from I-84 in Idaho. Combine that with outside temperatures hovering between 104 degrees and 112 degrees in a vehicle with no air condition...well, you can imagine the stench in the car (and who knows what the internal car temperature is — I can't even guess). The only good part so far is that I'm making excellent time because I don't have to make any bathrooms breaks because I'm sweating out every stinkin' drop of fluid in my body. Who knew Idaho would be so f*&#ing hot?!? Well, maybe some of you did and warned me but I obviously blocked it out.

I spent the night in Twin Falls, ID. This location is the only location in the U.S. where base jumping is legal all year round (there's one location in West Virginia or similar that opens up for base jumping for a week each year). Plus, it's all the location where Evel Knieval tried (and failed) to jump across the gorge.


Where am I headed, you might wonder? Where else ... Hells Canyon. For all you particular people out there, no, there isn't an apostrophe missing. It truly is Hells Canyon. In fact, there was a government commission who studied the issue and made the determination some years ago that in fact, it is and would remain Hells Canyon.

5 comments:

Doogman said...

Well, my wife's from Idaho and she can certainly be demonic when she wants to be... lends creedence to your story.

Watch out for the survivalists, they already think WWIII is over and we lost.

Looking at Idaho I can't say they're wrong.

David said...

The more you go in the NW direction, the more beautiful the landscapes become, and the less important the strange people are. Well, unless you go too far and everything turns white, but you aren't going that far.

Carol P. said...

Thanks to your KIA blog, I have lost my blogging virginity! Normally I don't have time for this stuff, but because you are so special to me, I will take the time to keep up with Karen's Great Adventure.
Anxiously awaiting pictures!

Anonymous said...

I thought you were going to Alaska?? I love the top 10 stuff by the way. You should definitely get some demerits if you didnt try base-jumping or at least take away some of mine...

-Your favorite niece in IA (i dont have a blog ID so thats why its anonymous

Anonymous said...

What? Do they charge you more for a car with AC???