Monday, July 16, 2007

Burning in hell

Hells Canyon is on fire — literally. I took a jet boat tour on the Snake River through Hells Canyon and there is a wildfire burning. You could see the flames. There were even a couple of helicopters filling their buckets from the river and dumping it on the fire. It was pretty awesome to see. (Yes, I have photos but no time to upload them so hang tight ... lots of photos are on the way.) And, don't worry. I was on the water so not in any danger of burning up myself, unless it's from internal combustion. Did I mention it's ~still~ extremely hot here? Over 100 degrees every day but after 114, it's really quite mild at 105.

On the way through Boise, I noticed the Extreme Makeover crew/show was in Boise. But, they had enough volunteers so I didn't help out.

On the way to Hells Canyon, I ended up staying at a combination cafe/motel called Bucky's. They had three rooms. All were available. We discussed the differences between Room 1 (twin beds), Room 2 (full beds) and Room 3 (queen beds), deciding to take Room 2. They weren't willing to give up Room 3, I'm not sure why. But in the cafe, I had the world's largest piece of coconut cream pie. Yum!

I'm currently in Coeur d'Alene, ID, more or less back in civilization. (Civilization being defined as cell phone coverage and working pay phones.) Once I left Boise, there were no working pay phones and absolutely no cell phone coverage until Lewiston, ID...about 6 hours/400 miles or so.

1 comment:

Doogman said...

Be careful up there in Idaho - it's the land of killer spuds!!