Monday, December 17, 2007

The Monthly Grind

Sitka hosts a monthly event called the Sitka Monthly Grind, described by Frommers as "a music and arts celebration". I attended my first grind -- finally! I've been trying to attend one for some time but was always out of town. You must purchase tickets in advance ... and if you wanna go, you better because it sells out!

What is the Grind? Well, it's an evening of "family entertainment" that costs $5 for adults, $1 for kids. If you bring a dessert item, you get your $5 back. Once you arrive, find a seat; the place gets packed! This is vital if you are going to enjoy the hour-and-a-half entertainment event. Then, sit back, relax and enjoy the show.

The show I went to consisted of a short story reading, followed by a set of trombone duets. I knew one of the trombonists (he was the guy house sitting here the week I was in Juneau). Then, a couple of guitarists played and sang. This was followed by the big event: Intermission.

Intermission is when you get to have dessert. What desserts they have. Wow, it was very hard not to eat those wheat-laden, delicious smelling items. You are encouraged to bring your own cup to reduce trash and waste.

Then, the middle school jazz band performed. They were awesome! Hard to believe they are middle schoolers. The last performance was a trio of 3 women singing harmony. They were fantastic, too. (I don't think I'll be up there with Tasha and my keyboard any time soon.)

The grand finale is the awarding of prizes for the best desserts. Who knew?!? They were good prizes -- significant gift certificates by local merchants. I'm gonna enter Mom's fudge next time (I think I'm in town then).

The venue is terrific. It's at the Sheet'ka Kwaan Naa Ka community house, home of the Tlingit Dancers who perform in connection with Sitka Tribal Tours during tourism season.

If you missed The Grind, don't worry. It plays on the local cable channel in rerun ... airing right after my presentation to the Sitka Chamber of Commerce.

No comments: