Sunday, December 9, 2007

An entire month in Sitka

Well folks, it's nearing 5 months since I've been on my great adventure ... and what a great adventure it has truly been. For the first time since I left Colorado the first part of July, I will actually be in one town for an entire month (although not in one residence).

I spent the past week in Juneau, the capital city, for work. Let me tell you -- it was frigid. Highs in the single digits, wind blowing down off the glacier (Mendenhall), car engine blocks frozen. Yeah, it was cold. I saw downtown Juneau with my VISTA leader Liza (she's fabulous), spent time with SEAtrails board Ron and stayed at his and Molly's house (really, really nice), attended the annual Gallery Walk in downtown, saw Ron's boat and had a margarita (first one since June!). The really big event was that I went shopping at Walmart. I know, I know ... but it's really hard to find that stuff in Sitka, where there is nothing but the grocery or the Ben Franklin.

Now, I'm back in Sitka, house and dogsitting at my friend Davey's house till the end of 2007. It's right on the water, gorgeous. Plus, I'm with my best bud Louie, hiking poodle extraordinaire. I'm here till after Christmas and Louie and I are gonna have a great time. The only catch is that there are also 9 ducks (outdoors) that I have to feed and try to herd up at the end of the day to get them in their pen. I'm not sure if you've ever tried herding ducks but it isn't easy. Tonight, they're spending the night outside. At least it's a balmy 37 or so degrees!

2 comments:

Doogman said...

Hiking POODLE??

Must be good protection from bears - they see a POODLE (image of teacup breed with elaborate haircut).

KIA said...

This poodle is awesome ... he's the one who hiked the steep mountain in August. He's also the one who dove overboard after a whale. He's got my back!