Saturday, November 17, 2007

Just another bizarre day in Alaska

As my loyal readers know (yes, there are a few of you out there), life is never dull here in the 49th state. Take my friend Allison, for example (you can see pictures of her at the Alaska Day Ball and at the Stardust Ball). Because I've been traveling for a mere week-and-a-half, I missed out on a huge event in her life. Seems that the cat she lost in June somehow survived being carted off by a bear. Allison spent the past week getting the cat vet-checked-and-approved-for-flying and then flown from Anchorage to Sitka. Read the full story.

Other recent bizarre occurrences include:
  • A dead body was found in the cemetary by my house.

  • While petting a dog at the airport and conversing with the owner, I discovered that the owner was actually someone I knew through teleconferences.

  • My friend Davey's hunting trip was extended because a bird hit and broke the windshield of the small plane they were in. They had to wait for a new windshield to get flown in.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing this body was above the ground in the cemetery, thus making it unusual. This talk of cemeteries and cats coming back remind me of Pet Cemetery. You better watch out Karen.

Anonymous said...

Karen, was someone looking for a dead body...in the cemetary? That seems redundant. Aren't people who teleconference real people or are they members of a new Inuit tribe called tel-eh-ckon-furees? Perhaps the person was "teleported" there from teleland. Cats have nine lives...ya know!

Doogman said...

How wonderful for your friend to be reunited with her cat!

You can never step on enough wet hairballs in the night.

Wasn't that a song???

Man... COME ON T-DAY!!!!!

KIA said...

Indeed, the dead body was above the ground. I guess this happens at that cemetary 2-4 times annually.

And the whole cat incident has sparked a debate about whether or not cats should/should not be allowed to go outside.

Anonymous said...

Wow-Are these murders? Are they people who don't want to pay for burial of family?

KIA said...

Nope, not murders ... suicides, usually by natives. No one quite gets the appeal.