Friday, February 1, 2008

What I actually do

Many of you have inquired about what I actually do besides enjoy great scenery, play on the trail and go out in boats (all part of my on-the-job training to know the region and my customers).

I am working for SEAtrails, Southeast Alaska Trail System, a non-profit group devoted to the "planning, promotion, maintenance and construction of a region-wide, Southeast Alaska trail system." We create useful information (like trail maps), help get money for trail improvement projects (like installing a sturdy foot bridge over a stream) and provide information on communities and services so people can come and enjoy this great area. The goal is to create more jobs in the region, more $ for businesses in each community, improve transportation and improve the quality of life.

Some of what I've done so far include presenting to different groups about what SEAtrails does, writing a lot of stuff (brochures, articles, press releases, web content, presentations), coordinating meetings and all sorts of weird tasks too numerous to list. My focus for the next 6 months is to get money for SEAtrails by applying for grants, finding investors, working on a paid membership program, writing articles and other content and doing a myriad of other things necessary to keep a non-profit in business.

This is all part of my AmeriCorps VISTA assignment, a sort of "American Peace Corps" where you serve as a volunteer for one year on a project to help prevent or alleviate poverty.


1 comment:

HW said...

Well, you have been successful in selling the area! Jesse and I are seriously considering a trip to AK this summer. We're looking at the financial stuff involved in traveling at this point.