Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Fond farewell to the funkhouse

I will soon be moving out of the funkhouse (a.k.a. the bunkhouse, the duplex or the house of bunk). "Why do they call it the funkhouse?" you might ask. Well, for starters, there are the voices you hear when no one is around. Or the doors slamming upstairs or water running when there's no one there. Or any other sort of strange happenings observed by almost everyone who has stayed there. (Trevor, you and your wife would love it!) Never mind that it is also next door to the National Cemetary, the most popular suicide spot in town.

Other than the strange happenings, the bunkhouse has been the perfect residence during my stay in Sitka. Set up as seasonal housing for Forest Service personnel, it has been mine and mine alone since September (which means I actually received my phone messages since then). It's easy to walk to everything and has all the amenities (sans internet and long distance).

Although the Forest Service was supposed to supply kitchen utensils (like glasses) and shared household items (such as toilet paper and light bulbs), they never quite got around to doing so. I'd been asking for drinking glasses since my July arrival without success. Now, 8 months later and just in time for my departure, I hear someone has located some cups (there is a literal warehouse full of all sorts of kitchen stuff) and is planning to bring them by any month now, I'm sure. Our government in action!

As of March 3, I begin my move to live with Robin in Glacier Bay National Park, housing unit 9B. Despite being only 90 miles from Sitka, the move is much more involved than my original move to Alaska. I will load up my Jeep and put it and me on the ferry to Juneau. From there, I take the Jeep to a barge for its transport to Gustavus and then I go to the airport for a flight to Gustavus.

Find out more about Glacier Bay National Park and the booming metropolis of Gustavus, home to one pizza shop, one liquor store, multiple moose and one interesting golf course!

1 comment:

Doogman said...

OUR LITTLE GIRL IS GROWING UP! (bursts into tears and waves handkerchief)