Monday, October 15, 2007

Stiff biathlon competition

I was in my first biathlon over the weekend. Yes, biathlon ... a running/shooting event. Do I shoot? Well, not really. Did I train? Well, no.

But I was told it was only a 1.5 mile run so who needs to train for that? However, it turned out to be a 5K run! I wasn't quite prepared for that (mentally or physically). Plus, I hadn't fired a 22-caliber rifle since the gravel pit/dynamite fiasco when I was 10 but hey, I figured, "Why not?"

I ended up placing second overall in the Women's Division (yes, there were more than 2 entrants in the category...maybe like 6 but who cares?). Anyway, I won a $25 gift certificate to a local sporting goods store. Right on!

This was just one of a multitude of activities taking place for Alaska Day. This festival is a huge deal here because Sitka is where the Russians transferred the purchase of Alaska to the U.S. on October 18, 1867.

I will also help out with the smoked salmon contest and the parade. I plan to attend the ball -- provided I can find some shoes (just like Cinderella) because that is one venue where XTra Tuffs are not allowed.

1 comment:

Doogman said...

Karen... running... and shooting a gun...

When will the video be posted? I have audio from Charlie's Angels that will go JUST GREAT with that...

heh heh