Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Better than the Oscar's

The Stardust Ball is ~the~ event of the season in Sitka. This annual Halloween celebration brings out quite a creative, festive crowd. The $15 entry fee is way worth the price of admission.

Where else can you see two guys dressed up as Batman and Robin (not my Robin) lip synching and dancing to Dirty Dancing's "I've had the time of my life"? Or Barbara Streisand dressed in a fur coat performing "Memories"? The hour-long lip synching contest was won ... drum roll please ... by a couple dressed up as the guy from Meatloaf and a woman lip synching "Paradise by the dashboard light."

Between the Amazon Afro-dye-tee (my friend Michelle), Thing 1 and Thing 2, DNA, Bun-in-the-oven-along-with-chef husband and lots of fish-oriented get-ups (like the famous fish box), it was hard to take it all in. I tried and you can get some ideas for your next year's costume by looking at my photos. (Sadly enough, I simply went as "An Alaskan" and had to borrow the proper shirt!) Bun in the oven won the costume contest. (See the other listings of winners.)

After the lip synch contest, this great band flown in from Seattle played (I forget or never knew their name). After, of course, everyone heads to the P-Bar because what would a Sitkan Saturday be without a trip to the P-Bar?!?

Suprisingly enough, the Monday Police Blotter was sorely lacking in content. At least I wasn't in it! Mark your calendars for next year's event ... scheduled for November 1, 2008. Better yet, just book in for the entire month of October till November and you can hit Alaska Day, Stardust Ball and Whale Fest!

2 comments:

Doogman said...

LOL! Great stuff.

Love the pirates! ARRRRRRR.

Next year you should dress up as the hardass lady cop from Northern Exposure! I hear tell you're hell with a nightstick.

KIA said...

There's a cop on Northern Exposure?