Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Top 10 job duties I did as Interpretive Ranger First Class

  1. Received (finally) my first official key that gets me into doors here at the fort. (Still waiting for apartment keys and a key to my place here at the fort.)
  2. Raised the American flag over the fort in the morning. (One day it almost got blown away! Thanks to my quick reflexes, I was able to avoid this catastrophic event.)
  3. Explored Bush Key with one of the bird researchers to see the nesting birds and scout for the lone crocodile. We didn't spot the crocodile, but we did see sooty terns, baby sooty terns, sooty tern eggs and frigate birds with the males all poofed up looking for a lady. (Photos to come as soon as the wind dies down.)
  4. Served as official "medical recorder" to document a medical incident for the EMT on duty. (Allergic reaction to sunscreen so no need to call the helicopter this time.)
  5. Spent hours counting, recounting and counting some more all of the campground and entrance fees. This included counting and packaging the money into units of 25 bills. Then I had to recount and repackage the money into units of 50 bills. (Only the government would make you spend $5 in staff time to count every $1 collected.)
  6. Recorded the daily weather in the official log used by NOAA. (The last time it rained here was Feb. 2 when we got 1.56 inches. Yesterday's low was a chilly 59 degrees!)
  7. Got to play with my new park service radio. (My radio call number is 241.)
  8. Worked with my first Junior Ranger who took the pledge and received a Junior Ranger badge. (I, too, have a ranger badge. I tried to get them to let me wear the Junior Ranger one but they wouldn't let me.
  9. Looked everywhere for a chair I can use instead of the circa 1954, straight-back elementary school wooden chair that I've been using.
  10. Tried and failed numerous times to get my computer log in and access. (Somehow they can't seem to figure out how to reinstate what I had at Glacier Bay. I foresee another fingerprinting ordeal.)

4 comments:

The Big Guy said...

What? No lighthouse tours?
When we got lighthouse afficinados on the island when I was there as a volunteer, I would occasionally do a very informal lighthouse talk from down on the parade ground... I'd have the visitors down on the ground on the foundation of the original lighthouse and talk about the original structure, then the new boilerplate light that is up on the bastion...
The lighthouse junkies really liked it.

Congrats on getting your DRTO4 key...
Odd...Some of those duties (flag duty, weather station, etc) are usually taken care of by the Garden Key Host(s)...
Y'all short of volunteers?

Remind me to show you the pics of Trep and I when we had the Gator Guys on-island and we went out on a night-time gator hunt...

Take care-

TBG

Doogman said...

"Junior Ranger BADGE"? I want to see you in the Junior Ranger UNIFORM. LOL. Bet Robin does too.

Doogman said...

I'm sorry, that was the caffeine talkin.

KIA said...

I'm working up to the tour thing. The kind of tours I could give now would be interesting and entertaining, but probably not Park Service material.

I just received keys to my apartment, too! Wow!

Photos of me in my new uniform coming soon so stay tuned!