Monday, March 16, 2009

Search and rescue

Robin and I went out fishing the other day on a rare relatively calm day (only blowing 10 knots or so). It was sunny, hot and the fish were biting. Robin had one on and called me to come over and help him net it. In my haste (and Robin's impatience), I failed to properly secure my rod in the rod holder (big mistake).

While we were getting Robin's fish in the boat, all of sudden .... zzzzzzzzzzip!

There went my new expensive rod, being pulled by a fish, over the edge of the boat and into the water. Not only that, it snagged another one (Robin's matching and equally expensive new rod) and took it along. I started to go for them (hey, they were expensive and the water is 70+ degrees). They were only a foot out of my reach. Robin yelled at me to stay in the boat. Then he ran up and marked the man overboard on the GPS (wow, what a great invention that is).

Today, we were fortunate enough to have a couple scuba divers who were willing to go on a treasure hunt. Sure enough, thanks to Robin's quick action with the GPS, they retrieved one rod in about 15 minutes. They went down a second time and again, success! They came up smiling and with the other rod.

Because the rods weren't exposed to oxygen and were submerged in the salt water, they will be good to go. Robin is out there hosing them down and soaking them in fresh water now.

I think we owe the divers some fish. A lot of it!

2 comments:

Doogman said...

So now technology can compensate for human clutzines? There may be hope for me yet. Good thing too, this santized packing crate is becoming claustrophobic!

KIA said...

We have one more (expensive) rod and reel down there ... thanks to a stupid pelican who came and stole the bait and hook and popped the rod out of the rod holder. I'm hoping they can be salvaged another day with another dive!