Saturday, December 27, 2008

A study in contrasts

Christmas in the Keys vs. Christmas in Southeast

This holiday season is certainly different than last year's! Although I spent both on a windy island accessible by only boat or plane, that's about where the similarity ends. It sure doesn't seem like Christmas when it's sunny and 75+ degrees.

This year we celebrated with a holiday potluck, attended by all seven people who live here plus two volunteers who visited from Loggerhead (more on that later). We had Loggerhead key lime pie, which was very, very good. (I've been enjoying the leftovers!) We also had special German sausage and sauerkraut, prepared by the Loggerhead volunteer, who carted it all the way from a special butcher in Boston.

Now, everyone has left and the only people on the island are me, Robin and one other Park Service employee -- law enforcement, of course!

3 comments:

Doogman said...

Merry Christmas to you all! Here's hoping your New Year is as much fun as you can stand! Love ya!

The Big Guy said...

Garden Key is kinda lonely when it's a skeleton crew.
And in regards to Loggerhead Volunteers, I got to enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner with Robin and Terry one year... They are awesome.
Be careful- I hear their cappuccino is addicting...

I was good to meet you and Robin for that fleeting moment on the boat-
I was kinda bummed that y'all were heading out on the day I got there...
Hopefully you'll be around next time I'm on-island.
My group wants to do an April/May camping trip, so we'll see how it goes.

Take care-

TBG

KIA said...

A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

Big Guy -- it was nice meeting you ... can't wait to swap some stories! We'll have lots by April/May.