Friday, September 7, 2007

Life in Sitka

Sitka is a small, friendly and very scenic town right on the water with about 8,000-9,000 people. Almost everything is walkable, provided you don't mind the rain but hey, that's why everyone has a rain coat, rain pants and XTraTufs. There are a few restaurants in town and they even deliver.

Living in Forest Service housing is, well, interesting. Other than the impossibility of the boys upstairs getting me a phone message or telling people I don't live there (and aside from the asbestos signs, other warning signs, peeling linoleum and disregard for housekeeping), it's been great. All of the seasonal employees will be moving out within the next couple of weeks. This means I will have the place and the phone to myself until April!

People tell me there are bears on my street and in the surrounding forest. I haven't seen any yet but I know they are there. It's only about a mile from work and I walk to work every day, which is fabulous. Downtown and the water are only a few blocks away. The airport is an approximate 6.5 minute drive, 8 if I have to wait for the stoplight, although the flight out is at 6 a.m. so there really isn't much traffic at that hour.

Take a look at the photos of Sitka and my place.

7 comments:

Doogman said...

You've got mail

Doogman said...

Nice photos!!

HW said...

Wow, your grocery store is scenic!

KIA said...

I really have some great material here to work with .. plus it sure makes going to the grocery store a lot more enjoyable.

In a town where the only way in or out is by plane or boat, you better like one or the other!

Doogman said...

It's okay to 'love' your boat... as long as you don't LOVE your boat.

Anonymous said...

A woman who openly loves a man's boat is higly esteemed.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you!

Nance says you will be salmon fishing on your bday....sounds like fun. We sang happy birthday to Nance in Chinese (sort of !).

Have a great day tomorrow!

xxoo, Jerry, Sue, Megan, Katie, Molly, Hero and Grover