Monday, May 2, 2011

Shotgun slinger

Ah, Alaska. Ya gotta love it.

I signed up as a volunteer with the Fish and Wildlife Service and they also hired me to be this year's salmon camp director! Whooo hoooo!!! One of the training courses is becoming "shotgun certified." Depending on how good of a shot you are, this enables you to either carry a shotgun to protect yourself in the field or carry a shotgun to protect yourself ~and others~ in the field.

The testing part is pretty fun, although my shoulder was sore after shooting about 30 rounds, including 8 big, powerful slugs. You have a stationary target: a bear poster stapled to plywood. You then test on a moving target: a bear poster stapled to plywood, rigged up on a pulley and it's coming at you! Aaahhhrrrgghh!

I actually qualified to carry to protect myself ~and~ others (although I'm not sure that is a good thing). Robin, of course, qualified to protect everyone.

1 comment:

Doogman said...

I'll just BET you look good with a shotgun slung over yer shoulder. That Robin is a lucky guy.