Monday, September 29, 2008

It ain't all fun and games...

living in Alaska (although I'm sure my blog sounds like it is).

Although I've been officially "unemployed" for almost a month now, I have had an exhausting schedule. (Well, maybe not exhausting but I have been busy.) It takes a lot of time to gather stuff to pack, re-pack, try to ship and have the box over the weight limit so I have to tear through the tape and take stuff out, re-pack the box, pack some more, re-pack, try to ship and have the box over the weight limit so I have to tear through the tape and take stuff out, etc.

In fact, for the past couple of weeks, I've been talking about how I felt like Cool Hand Luke when he had to dig the dirt out of Boss' ditch, then move the dirt out of Boss' yard, then dig the dirt back out of Boss' ditch, etc. (Paul Newman -- you rocked and I loved your movies!)

Anyway, we shipped 40 or so boxes, each weighing 50-69.75 pounds. Meanwhile, Robin has been working at his normal speed (ultra-high gear) and his normal hours (plus another 5 or 10 each week). One of the recent projects he's been working on was the chip seal project, where they were laying down tar/chips/road stuff to make the road surface better and last longer.

One of the challenges with this is that the road temperature was supposed to be a minimum of 60 degrees, not an easy thing to have in this summer of 55 degrees. (They have a really neat temperature gun tool thingy for this and I want one!) The road surface was also supposed to be relatively dry. Again, never an easy thing in a rain forest.

It was really cool to see the barge come in with all the chips on it and see them offload the equipment.

Take a look at the pictures from the project.

No comments: