Thursday, August 28, 2008

End of an era

I have officially completed my VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America) term. What a great experience it has been! I could not have asked for a better year, nor predicted what paths this odyssey would lead me down this year.

My project was SEAtrails, Southeast Alaska Trail System. I worked with 9 board members and one awesome previous board member (Davey -- you are the best!) spread throughout Southeast. What a great group of people ... each one contributes something unique. I am impressed how much each does for their community and what a big impact something each one has on the place where they live and work.

I also worked with a very diverse range of people throughout the Forest Service, Alaska Marine Highway, National Park Service and all the local community contacts. I can't even begin to convey how much I learned about the region, life in Alaska and life in general from everyone.

Now, I am (sadly) handing over the reins to the new VISTA volunteer, Jesse, who could only be so lucky to have as great of an adventure as I had.

As for me ... stay tuned for when I outline the next chapter of Karen's Great Adventure -- you won't even believe this one!

2 comments:

David said...

I suspect it won't involve tech writing.

Doogman said...

I'm so proud of you.