Friday, April 4, 2008

Return from civilization

Wow, Hawaii was awesome. Sun, heat, whales, turtles, snorkeling, spewing lava, what could be better?!? I took so many pictures I ended up buying a new memory card for my camera. (Be patient ... there are lots of really cool photos coming as soon as I have a reliable satellite uplink to transfer all of them.)

This was Robin's first trip to Hawaii and he loved it. I almost drowned snorkeling because I was laughing so hard watching Robin, in his neoprene, floatable wetsuit top and noodle floatie, kicking for all he was worth to dive down under the water for a better look at something. He also made me laugh so hard on the plane that the flight attendant thought ~I~ was the one who had too many Mai Tais (and he was the drunk one!).

Quotable quotes from Robin:

  • "I know my fruit."
    (In reference to him picking out something called a pluot, which neither of us had ever seen or heard of before but he insisted he knew better than I how to pick 'em).
  • "I thought we'd be the only ones here."
    (In reference to his surprise that a popular scenic spot was as crowded as I said it would be).
  • "I'll be moving so I won't need any sunscreen."
    (In reference to me nagging him about putting on sunscreen before a hike, especially because he's had several spots cut out of his skin already!).
  • "I can find a tree somewhere."
    (In reference to me saying he better go to the bathroom now while we still had trees around, knowing we were headed into a barren lava field with no vegetation whatsoever. He didn't take advantage of the opportunity).
  • "Did we eat ice cream on the plane?"
    (In reference to me talking about the great coconut sundae we had on the plane, which he didn't remember because of all the Mai Tais on the plane and the mixed drinks in the Anchorage "Board Room").
  • "It's windy so I won't need sunscreen."
    (Another reference to me nagging him about putting on sunscreen.)
  • "They'll have a double-fish!"
    (McDonald's had these double-fish sandwiches everywhere we went. He really wanted one but kept putting off getting one. Finally, I said he better get one now because you never know ... well, he didn't get one and we ended up being in an area where all of the McDonald's had "discontinued" the double fish! Of course, none of the workers could figure out to just give him two.)
  • "We'll be shopping so I won't need sunscreen."
    (Yet another reference to me nagging him about putting on sunscreen. Creative, isn't he?)

3 comments:

Doogman said...

I like Robin already.

HW said...

So Robin's nickname is Red Robin right?

David said...

Sounds great, except for the heat and sun.